Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Oreo Cookies


It may be the most highly anticipated cookie of all-time.  CNN calls it breaking News.  The President has called it a National Treasure and, from what I hear, thousands of white girls are lining up around the corner to get their hands on new Pumpkin Spice Oreo cookies. Okay, none of that true, but it wouldn't surprise me.  Have you seen the attention these are receiving?  They're all over the media.  Major news outlets have them covered and foodie blogs have been counting down the days to their release.  It's an odd happening for junk food and I haven't seen anything like it since Nabisco first released their Candy Corn Oreos. As a fan of these gimmicks and the variety of Oreo flavors, this is surely a treat!


We've said it all month long and there's no denying it - the two "flavors of the season" are undoubtedly Caramel Apple and Pumpkin Spice.  While most companies are releasing one or the other, Nabisco chooses to stand head and shoulders above to rest by releasing both in the same season.  Caramel Apple Oreos are out of this world and still hold the Cookie Championship, but these Pumpkin Spice Oreos are what the world has been waiting for.  For thousands of you, Pumpkin Spice has become a seasonal drug.  There are potheads, crackheads, and pumpkinheads.  Some of you, whether you admit it or not, are definitely pumpkinheads.  But hey, I'm not judging you!  If I could acquire the damn taste, I'd be in rehab with you.  But no matter how hard I try, the flavor just isn't making any taste buds.  Luckily, things have changed over the course of three years and I'm able to look passed the fact that these are supposed to taste like a giant fruit I used to carve.  Slowly, I'm coming around and, regardless, there was no way I was letting Pumpkin Spice Oreo Cookies allude me!



I've opened more than enough of these yellow Oreo bags to know that there's always a great whiff of seasonal aroma attached to every experience.  In fact, opening them is my favorite part and I enjoy that surprise more than I do tasting the new flavor.  No matter what variety is being offered, the scent always packs a major punch and gives you a sense of what type of taste you can expect, next.  It's the teaser portion of the product and I like having that included.  Each and every time I come home with a new Oreo flavor, I make it an event.  Obviously, the fact that they'll be covered on The Holidaze gives me more of a reason to make the mundane a marvelous moment, but you should too.  To truly immerse yourself in the season, indulge, and embrace the 'daze, it's important to take little moments and make them so much better than they should be.



These Pumpkin Spice Oreos appear to be much creamier than the usual gimmicks, but I think that's because the color is so unique.  I never thought I'd see such brown creme sandwiched between two Oreo cookies, but there it is.  I'll admit, it doesn't look all that appetizing.  The bag tells us it's supposed to look orange but, in person, it looks more like hamburger meat.  Somehow, believe it or not, that works perfectly for Halloween.

While the creme color may not be what I expected, the flavor is actually much better than expected.  The pumpkin flavor is strong, it's potent, but it's far from overwhelming.  Personally, I'm not looking for something that tastes too much like Pumpkin.  I know that's what some of you were hoping for, but there are hints of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Ginger.  Now, none of those ingredients are actually included in the recipe, but somehow they make it work.  Maybe it's because they're not as Pumpkin-y as I'd expected, but I'm giving this bag a high rating.  Based on other reviews I've read, these aren't getting very high grades and it would appear that I am in the minority.  I guess, depending on your preference, these can go either way.  For me, they were enjoyable and I'm happy to see them on the market.  Oreo has done it again and I can only imagine what else they have up their sleeves.  Winter and Christmas are just around the corner.  I'm predicting Hot Chocolate, Sugar Cookie, or Sugar Plum to join their Gingerbread and Candy Cane varieties.  Nobody knows, but I'm sure Nabisco will continue to enhance the season!

7 / 10

2 comments:

  1. Picked these up tonight along with the reeses's white chocolate pumpkins and Hershey candy corn mini bars. I am afraid I am going to go into a sugar coma by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me old fashion but I always enjoy the traditional Halloween Oreos the best. The new flavors are fun to track down but nothing beats a classic orange frosted Oreo in a spooky package!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...