Tuesday, August 5, 2014

TMNT Crush: Donatello Grape


Put on your thinking caps, because today it's all about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle who does machines.  If it weren't for Donatello, who knows where he and his brothers would be.  Let's face it, Steve Jobs didn't invent Face Time, he was only copying Donatello in an attempt to bring us all a real-life Turtle Com.  You can thank Donnie for that!  If not for his brains, the Ninja Turtles may have found themselves in Shredder's Turtle Soup after all.  Luckily, he's a Teenage Mutant Ninja Genius and was smart enough to wear the color purple so all of us can sit back with a refreshing glass of Crush Grape soda!


Much like Michelangelo's 12-pack, the artwork is beautiful.  The crisp color and contrasting hues truly make this a work of art.  What I failed to point out in my last post is the use of mutagen or ooze within the design.  If you look closely, you'll see the flowing green ooze separate the purple from the background.  It's almost as if the mutagen ooze is washing away the green, which represents normality, and replacing it with Donatello's signature purple to symbolize the rise of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle who's smarter than most people I've ever met.  Me included.. have you seen the typos and grammatical error on this site?  Yeah, pretend you didn't.. Sorry, Donnie..


There's not enough I can say about these cans.  In reality, all they had to do was release a few flavors, slap the Ninja Turtles logo on there, and call it a limited-edition can and I would have been sold.  In fact, I would have been happy!  But Crush chose to go the extra mile and individually design each character's can to perfectly represent their look and strategy.  While Mikey had the nun chucks strapped to his belt and wrapped around his shell, Donatello has his bo staff ready to whip out at a moment's notice to kick some shell and crush the foot.  Pun intended?  Pun intended.


On top of every can, it's rimmed with the eye band of that specific turtle.  As you'd expect, the eyes are very similar to that of the original comic and what you'll see in theaters this Friday.  But Donatello is an exception to the rule because they've added something in 2014 that's never been featured before - glasses!  I really haven't discussed the change in Turtle appearance much yet and I probably won't until after I see the movie, but they've clearly changed what I know and love.  Time will tell if it was for the better, but these nerdy glasses are an interesting addition to Donnie's character.  Personally, I don't mind it.  I think it says a lot about who he is and where he stands within the group of four.  He's a geek, but he's also a genius and is capable of out-thinking his brothers when they need him most.  Glasses symbolize his passion for learning and I'm happy they took the time to include that on this can rather than simply throwing on another pair of white eyes.


Grape soda is almost as classic as legendary Orange, but I'm not sure where it falls on the popularity scale.  Personally, I go back and forth.  I've had Orange soda so much more in my life that I'll usually choose Grape over the former, but it all depends on my mood and the temperature.  They're both Summer drinks, but an ice cold Crush Grape goes down nice and easy on a 95 degree day in August!  You can't go wrong with either one, but I can definitely tell you that Michelangelo's Orange looks much cooler inside giant TMNT mugs.  If that has any influence on you at all, then I'm glad you're reading The Holidaze!


Oh, and about those hot days... Ninja Turtle shaped ice doesn't do so well outside in the heat.  Had Shredder known my secret, Krang and I would rule the world.  Good thing Donnie is smarter than me... than I?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...