Monday, October 31, 2011

Top 13 Horror Movies


I've always loved Horror Movies and I can watch them at any time of year, but they're always better during the Halloween season.  Around this time of year, I'm looking for everything to be scary.  Whether it be Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark, or Roseanne and Home Improvement, I want everything I watch to have the sense of horror.  I want the fear to run through my veins and surround me at every turn.  So, on this Halloween night, I'm bringing you my Top 13 Horror Movies!  Why 13 and not 10?  Because 13 is supposed to be unlucky and that's scarier.  Let's go!


#13 - The Omen

I've seen the original, but I didn't become a fan of The Omen until I saw the remake.  In both, that little boy freaked me out.  His blank stare and evil eyes were enough to give me chills.  But, that was it.  Besides Damien, there is nothing scary about The Omen.  However, it's still on my list at number 13 because Damien is scary enough.


#12 - Rosemary's Baby

Although it's a classic, I didn't rent Rosemary's Baby until two years ago during the Summer.  We were in the mood for a good Horror Film and we had always heard good things about Rosemary's Baby.  So, we picked it up at Blockbuster and gave it a shot.  All in all, we were pleasantly surprised by the plot.  It was more of a mind-game than it was horrific and I liked that most.  It reminded me a lot of Saw in the sense that it led you to believe one thing, dropping hints of what was to come, before throwing us a twist that leads to something else.  Then, of course, it all comes together.


#11 - The Descent

I'm usually not afraid of "creatures."  I believe in ghosts and serial killers so certain Horror Movies scare me more than others because, in my mind, they can actually happen.  However, The Descent seems so far-fetched that I didn't expect to get anything out of it.  It's like Jeepers Creepers.  Am I ever really going to come across a giant creature with wings that isn't a bird?  I'd say no and, for that reason, it's not on my list.  But, when you I saw The Descent, I found my exception to the rule.  I've never gone cave-diving and have never had an interest to do so, but I couldn't tell you what's down there.  I'd bet these abnormal beings aren't down there, but ya never know.  That ignorance, along with the jumps and startles, made this list worthy for sure.


#10 - The Silence of the Lambs

The Silence of the Lambs might have the best plot of any Horror Movie I've ever seen.  There is a real story to it and it has spawned additional films.  However, for me, the scariest aspect of Silence of the Lambs is Hannibal Lecter.  The first time I ever saw him eat another person and rip of that face, I was up all night.  I literally couldn't sleep without thinking that he was in my closet.  I kept picturing him with that brown muzzle, waiting for me to close my eyes so he can eat me.  Ah man, Hannibal is so freaky!


#9 - A Nightmare on Elm Street

There are a few surprises on the list and this is probably one of them.  I know there are many fans of Freddy Krueger, and I consider myself to be one too, but I've just never liked the franchise enough to rank it any higher than 9.  No doubt, it deserves to be in the Top 10, but that's it.  Freddy is one of the most iconic characters of all time, but he can only get me in my dreams and, for me, that just isn't scary enough.  I'll give props to the first and second, but after that, I simply can't watch.  In fact, I'd rather watch the remake.


#8 - Friday the 13th

Similar to A Nightmare on Elm Street, I only like a few installments of Friday the 13th.  Don't get me wrong, I love Jason!  If this were a list based on the top movie monsters, then he'd be in my top two, but it isn't.  This is about the overall collection of films and, for this franchise, it falls flat after the 2nd and 3rd.  When I was younger, I loved the fact that Jason was in Manhattan because I lived so close and thought, whoa, Jason is only a river away from chasing me all through the city.  Now, I just find it ridiculous.  Throw Jason X into the mix and now I'm just laughing.  Number 8 is right where this belongs.  However, I won't deny, Jason's hockey mask is amazing now and always will be.


#7 - Freddy vs Jason

Now we're talking!  I remember when this movie was rumored and I just kept hoping that it would one day be produced.  It had so much potential.  The thought of Freddy and Jason together, battling it out in the same movie, was just too good to be true.  Then, in 2003, it all came together in an unforgettable story.  I'll never forget going to see this in theaters.  The sound of Spineshank and falling rain as they zoomed in on Elm Street screamed horror and let me know I was in for a good time.  But, somewhere along the way, it fizzled out.  Next thing you know, Freddy is getting high as some type of worm.  If not for the few corny scenes, this would have been much higher than number 7.  However, I'd love to see another, especially if they threw in Michael Myers


#6 - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Because I'm more into blood and gore than I am into symbolism, I enjoyed the new generation of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre than the original, but it really doesn't matter because it's Leatherface that scares the hell out of me.  Leatherface is the reason I'm afraid to leave the city.  I couldn't imagine breaking down in some hick town and having to ask for help.  I think I would starve to death simply out of fear.  That's what this movie has done to me.  Even though I think Leatherface is way too underrated, I have to give him the credit he deserves.  If you've ever been in a Haunted House, you know what it feels like to hear that chainsaw rip.  I've seen grown men literally run away.  I was one of them.


#5 - Insidious

You might be wondering why Insidious is on my list of the Top 13 Horror Movies, but it's for personal reasons.  See, for as much as I love psycho killers, gore, blood and guts, nothing scares me more than ghosts.  I've always said, if I was to make a Horror Movie, I would base it around dead people.  I've felt, at times, that my house is haunted.  I've heard things, I've seen things out from the corner of my eye, and I've had lights flicker.  Those are the things that freak me out beyond belief and Insidious comes pretty close to doing what I never thought I'd see.  There were literally jaw-dropping scenes and imagery.  However, the movie fell flat as it progressed.  It's not the total package, but it gave me much more than I ever expected from the trailer.  If you haven't seen it, check it out.


#4 - Child's Play

Up until the Bride of Chucky, when everything becomes a joke, the Child's Play franchise is golden.  I know, you're thinking, how the hell is a killer doll not already a joke?  I guess it is, but no more than Freddy or Jason.  We all know Chucky could never truly come to life, but what if he did?  Did you ever look at a Furby looking at you?  There were countless times where I thought it was going to come to life and slaughter me.  It's the idea of Chucky that is scary and that's why I love watching the films over and over again.


#3 - Paranormal Activity

As I said earlier, nothing scares me more than ghosts.  Honestly, it's rare that a Horror Movie actually frightens me so, when it does, I know they're doing something right.  I've seen all three Paranormal Activity films now and, really, they get better each and every time.  I just went to see the most recent about two weeks ago and I couldn't believe it.  If you haven't seen the third yet, then you owe it to yourself to get out there right now.  If you haven't seen any of the Paranormal Activity films, then what are you even doing reading this blog??


#2 - Scream

I absolutely love Scream.  I've probably seen the first three well over 45 times and even that isn't enough.  At this point, I think I can have the first script memorized and can read the lines aloud along with the actors.  I'll admit, the 2nd and 3rd were a bit stale.  Having Mrs. Loomis and Sidney's long-lost brother as killers is a bit of a stretch, but they had to do something to make the trilogy live on.  However, Scream 4 came back and revived the franchise for the better.  It wasn't predictable and, even if you did figure it out, the plot was still on point.  I'm hoping that the 4th leads to even more Scream films because I truly don't think we can have too many Ghost Face killers.  I guess this would be the perfect opportunity to ask you, "What's Your Favorite Scary Movie?"


#1 - Halloween

In my opinion, there is no greater Horror Movie than Halloween.  Everything about this legendary classic epitomizes Horror.  We have the cool, crisp air, the falling leaves, a psycho killer, innocent victims, sex, violence, the perfect mask and, of course, the most amazing theme song!  The story has a few loopholes and it hasn't always been so consistent, but it's Michael Myers that keeps you coming back for more.  His mask has given me nightmares and, every year, I'm sure to play the Halloween theme song at least 10 times.  It simply isn't Halloween without it and neither is this film.  The Halloween theme song is to Michael Myers and Halloween what the Jaws theme is to Jaws and Great White Sharks.  It makes things scarier and, really, makes Halloween the total package.  However, don't watch Halloween 3.  That absolutely sucks.

Now, I'm sure many of you disagree with my list.  I've left off a few that most people love.  I'm sure many of you expected The Exorcist to be on my list, but I've never been a fan.  Sure, when it came out, it was the most terrifying thing anyone had ever seen.  The same can be said for Night of the Living Dead.  I also left off Saw and The Blair Witch Project, which some people loved for the "reality" aspect.  But if I had to pick 13 Horror Movies to watch right now, these would be it.  However, that doesn't mean I'm not open to hearing what you have to say.  If you think I disrespected a classic by leaving it off the list or have a suggestion, then I'd love to read your comments.  Give me your Top 13!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...